Here is the straight up, undiluted small group lesson I gave this past week. If you like it, steal it. If you see an area in need of improvement, call it out. I try to keep it short, simple, and to the point.
1) PRAY. 3 word prayer. God, I thank you for… (3 words) (Colossians 4:2)
2) Jordan will provide accountability if you want. But you have to set it up with him. It is NOT required.
3) OSL wants tonight to be about Quiet Time… everyone 30 days straight – free food.
4) Big boy pants
5) Matthew 5:1-12
1Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 5“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 6“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 7“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 8“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 9“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
6) What do you imagine it was like to actually be there listening to Jesus teach this?
7) How do you feel about these attributes being listed by Jesus as things of glory and honor?
8) Jordan’s Thoughts
a. Set up the scene. Imagine it. It is setting up the sermon with GRACE.
i. Poor in spirit – I need Jesus!!! I must rely on Him.
ii. Mourn – Mourn with others. Also mourn over sin, which is part of repentance.
iii. Meek – True Humility. Servanthood.
iv. Hunger and thirst for righteousness – Feed yourself. Take off the bib.
v. Merciful – we all screw up. Jesus never did. Yet he shows mercy.
vi. Pure in heart – God is after our MOTIVES. Not our actions.
vii. Peacemaker – Love Others.
viii. Persecuted (for righteousness’ sake) – We should be living our lives in such a way that people notice a difference. (More info? Search “sippin some haterade” on Jordansteffaniak.com)
9) Which of these traits are you the best at? Which are you the worst at? Why?
10) Are there any traits that you feel do not belong here?
11) Application – Pray. Each person will pray for themselves and one other person. 3 specific things for each person. The list will start with one thing now and slowly grow to 3. Our first prayer will be one trait that you want developed in your life through Christ this semester. (Bring them back to PG each week!) as for the group, we will pick 1 trait that we all want developed and will pray for it as a group… everyday!
NEXT WEEK READING: Matthew 5:13-16