This past Wednesday I concluded my series on the theology of Matthew and below have posted all the links to each audio. I would love to hear your thoughts – good or bad! If you would like my notes, you are free to ask me and I can send them to you. Hope they bless.
1) The Gospel of Jesus – The Restorer, Rescuer, and Revealer
2) The Gospel of Jesus – The New Moses
3) The Gospel of Jesus – The Fulfillment of All of Israel
4) The Gospel of Jesus – The Fulfillment Theme Traced
5) The Gospel of Jesus – The Fulfillment of the Law and Prophets
6) The Gospel of the Kingdom – The Resurrected Israel
7) The Gospel of the Kingdom – Discipleship
8) The Gospel of the Kingdom – Kingdom Righteousness
9) The Gospel of the Kingdom – The Rightful Recompense
For those titles that may seem vague or not fully descriptive… here is what they mean:
1) The Big Theme of Matthew. The Bookends.
2) Jesus fulfills the role of a new and greater Moses. Fulfilling Deuteronomy 18:15-22
3) Jesus fulfills the role of every aspect of Israel. E.g. David, Israel, Abraham, etc.
4) Matthew uses a bunch of “fulfillment quoations” – each are dealt with here. E.g. Isaiah 7:14
5) The relation of the Mosaic Covenant and the OT to Jesus and the New Covenant
6) Covenant Theology and the one people of God who are a new people of God
7) Discipleship… yeah. That one was obvious.
8) The idea of righteousness seems to be used differently in Matthew than in Paul. This is addressed and explained.
9) The great tribulation, the return of Christ, and the final judgment… along with rewards mixed in.
*All views within the teaching are my own and not necessarily that of my church*